Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clementines

I love how it's possible to tell which fruit is in season, simply by walking along the streets.  It seems at the moment that clementine peels are in a tie with cigarette butts for most ubiquitous litter.  

I love clementines!  This is a relatively new thing for me, as orange has never been my favorite flavor, but about a month ago Tom's mother insisted I eat one from their garden, and I haven't looked back since.  They are simply the perfect fruit: sweet, juicy, slightly tart, and small enough for a quick snack.  Actually, it is probably the tiny size that I love best! :)

 At the market.  Every grocery store and fruit stand is full of the tiny fruit right now, and people are buying huge quantities, as they will soon disappear.  Buying in season has its pros and cons.  Pros: food is delicious and flavorful, and the process is ridiculously eco-friendly.  Cons: um, what if I want a clementine in the summer?

At home.  These will last me maybe 2 days.

Aren't they lovely?

On the street.  I promise it's not mine!

No comments: