Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mom's visit to Rome: Christmas lights

For the first time in my life I decided not to go home for Christmas, and instead remained in Rome.  Thankfully my Mom flew out to join me, bringing just the right dose of love and comfort that I needed to prevent a huge case of homesickness.  Though she has now visited several times, this was her first trip during the winter, (when the city is much emptier), and it was fun to show her things from a different perspective.  Without the huge crowds of summer, Rome is more authentic and often more inviting.  So, on one of her first nights we walked around the city center with the goal of seeing as many Christmas lights as we could.  In honor of the 150 year anniversary, the city has spared no expense with decorations, going above and beyond what I have seen the previous two years.

 The whole length of Via del Corso, a major street that intersects the center of town, was crowned with the country's colors

At the intersection of Via del Corso and Via Condotti.  Fendi is on the left and always puts up one of my favorite displays.

 Looking down Via Condotti towards Piazza di Spagna

 At the Christmas market in Piazza Navona

 I don't think she's ever seen the Pantheon so empty before

Walking home, near the Pantheon

No comments: