Thursday, November 12, 2009

Misc. London

My research trip in London happened to coincide with Bonfire Night, aka, Guy Fawkes Night (November 5).  If you haven't seen V for Vendetta, which is how I first learned of Guy Fawkes I'm ashamed to say, this night celebrates the anniversary of a failed attempt to blow up Parliament in 1605, under King James I. Guy Fawkes was a key player in the plan, and he and the others were caught, found guilty of treason, tortured, and hung.

Now the event is commemorated with fireworks


Lots of fireworks




With the fabulous Leslie, a dear friend from Princeton who is in London for the year working on her dissertation

Of course, as an art historian, no trip to London would be complete without a visit to the National Gallery.


View from the steps of the National Gallery, looking onto Trafalgar Square. This picture shows what it was like while I was there: cold and wet! Notice Big Ben in the background?


Leaving the Gallery




A view of the Gallery itself. Notice my umbrella at the top of the frame? Although you can't tell in this picture, it was pouring!!

No comments: