Thursday, November 12, 2009

London

I just returned from a week-long trip to London, where I was working at the Warburg Institute, part of the University of London. Located within this library is a massive photographic index of all major iconographic themes throughout the history of art. While there I looked up anything and everything related to my dissertation topic, and I found some frescoes and paintings of which I was not previously aware. So, a success!



The entrance to the Institute. Very unassuming for how renowned it is in the art history world.


The desk I worked at, with a nice view outside


The Library is situated within Woburn Square, which has a nice little garden in the middle


A picture of the photographic archives themselves. Lots and lots of file cabinets.


There was so much imagery to go through, it was amazing!


An example of some of the things I was looking at. This is the horoscope of Agostino Chigi, a papal banker in the Renaissance. I was thrilled to learn that you could take photos of the collection.


A wooden ceiling with carved images of the zodiac from Bologna


An example of the back of the photographs. Can anyone read this handwriting?


At-work selfie :)

No comments: