Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope Watch 2013 part 2

Well, that was quick.  Not long after I posted my last blog I heard bells ringing outside my apartment (more than usual), and sure enough, a quick check of the internet revealed that there had been white smoke. 

I made it to the piazza in plenty of time, and found a pretty good spot to stand, although I was outside of the piazza proper.  About a half hour after I got there Francesco I, as the Italians call him, came out and made his address.  I'm glad I rushed over and witnessed this, but to be honest, it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.  Perhaps because it was night, cold, and rainy, and that dampened (ha! puns!) the mood a bit.  Also, because my main priority of spotting celebrity newscasters was a complete failure.  :(

Running with others along Via della Conciliazione towards the church

 
 My first spot, not so great

 Second spot, with much more room

Papa Francesco's first address to the crowd

 I have to say, for me it was more exciting to see every single window of the facade lit up.  (The facade is always illuminated at night, but only the exterior.)  Also, the appearance of a new pope is the only time the central balcony is used, and so from an architectural perspective I was happy to see this.  I also loved all the little cardinals lined up in the flanking windows.

The view in front of me

 The view behind me.  Put down your phones people!  Experience things in life, not through a lens!

 
My final attempt to get close to the newscasters.  Fail.  I later heard Anderson Cooper was near the obelisk.  Ugh.

1 comment:

Shelbi said...

A+ for racing down there and trying to get a glimpse of a media person, oh and the new pope.