Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pope Watch 2013

Yesterday conclave officially started, with one vote in the evening.  Since nobody expected a new pope to be elected in just one vote I didn't bother making my way over to St. Peter's.  But this morning I met up with Jasmine, Nick, and Ben to wait for some smoke.

Apparently there are four votes a day, and black smoke (meaning no pope yet) will be released after two negative votes, at noon and 7pm daily.  White smoke (meaning pope!) can be released at any time.  This makes things a bit tricky, as I don't live near the Vatican, but I plan on returning tomorrow and hanging out for a while.  Hopefully he's not elected tonight!

Even if I don't see the white smoke itself, they say that as soon as it's released it takes about 45 minutes for the new pope to emerge and give his first blessing from the façade of the church.  Depending on where I am in the city, I may try to run over to see things.  Also, all the church bells in the city are supposed to ring, so that will be fun to hear.

I'll continue to keep you posted!

The piazza was crowded, but not as much as I expected.  Probably because it's still early in the voting, and also the rain.


Black smoke from the Sistine Chapel

 Also available for viewing on the big screen

With Nick, Jasmine, and Ben

I want to catch a glimpse of some newscasters, but I think this is as close as I can get :(

No comments: