Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ravenna: Galla Placidia


Next up in Ravenna was the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, the daughter of Emperor Theodosius I.

The building itself is actually really tiny.  Compare its size with the people on the left.

Like the high altar of San Vitale, the interior of the mausoleum is entirely covered in mosaic.


Mosaic of Christ as the Good Shepherd.  We teach this image in our Art History intro class as an example of a more naturalistic Byzantine style, as compared to contemporary art in the east, in Constantinople.

My favorite detail of the mausoleum, and apparently everyone else's as well, as it is reproduced on everything from postcards (some with glitter!) to mouse pads.

I really liked this detail; the off-white color in the geometric patterning at the bottom makes it look almost like a woven basket.

I had the entire place to myself and had to capture the moment!!

No comments: