Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Egypt, day 4: Kom Ombo

Our next stop was at the temple of Kom Ombo, built during the Ptolemaic period with later additions by the Romans.


I don't know much about this monument, and there wasn't a whole lot of information in our guidebook. What I do know is that there was hardly anybody there and that it was incredibly beautiful.


Thoth and Ra anoint the Pharaoh


Katie and I, continuing our tradition of peeking around old things




Ever present security outpost


All the main gods, assembled in a row. I can identify Thoth (left), Isis (second left), and Ra (second right), but the rest I'd have to look up. The guy in the middle is likely the Pharaoh.


View of painted phoenixes on the ceiling of one of the pylon gates


Belly buttons!


My humble offer of bottled water to the gods. I hope they liked it!


Another nice example of post and lintel architecture









No comments: